Chatpata Jhaal Muri Recipe
Jhaal Muri is a popular snack that originated in Kolkata. It resembles Bhel of Mumbai so both of them got a lot in common from ingredients to the recipe preparation style.
Jhaal Muri can also be found in any street food area of Kolkata and is loved by people all across the country. You can learn how to make authentic Jhaal Muri in Bengali style with our recipe guide.
This vegetarian snack is very healthy and nutritious.
In fact, this diet snack is loved by people who prefer to cut down on calories. The assortment of veggies like potato, cucumber, tomato is nicely mixed with fine sev and puffed rice along with tamarind paste to create this delicious yet light evening snack. The spice mix is sprinkled in the end and mixed well for an enhanced flavor.
4 cups - Murmura (puffed rice) 1/4 cup - Fine sev (bengal gram vermicelli) 1/4 cup - Peanuts 1 tsp - Oil 1/2 cup - Potato, boiled, peeled and cut into small pieces 1/2 cup - Tomato, finely chopped, seeded 1/2 cup - Cucumber, finely chopped 2 tbsps - Green chilli, finely chopped, adjust to taste 2 tbsps - Coriander leaves, finely chopped 1/4 cup - Tamarind paste 4 tsps - Mustard oil For the spice mix: 4 tsps - Roasted Cumin seeds powder 1 tsp - Slat 1 tsp - Black salt 1 tsp - Mango powder (amchoor) 1 tsp - Red chili powder 1/2 tsp - Garam Masala 4 slices of Lemon for garnishing
How to Make Chatpata Jhaal Muri:
- Combine all the dry spices together. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a small pan on medium heat, add peanuts and roast stirring continuously till lightly brown.
- This should take about 2 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Dry roast the muri/puffed rice on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Notes: Muri should not change colour; they should be white but roasting gives freshness and make them crisp. Set aside.
- Just before ready to serve jhaal muri, add the peanuts, sev, tomato, potato and cucumber, green chilli, coriander leaves, tamarind paste, mustard oil and spices.
- Toss them and serve.
- You may adjust all the ingredients as per your taste.