Jhinge aloo posto Recipe
Bengali recipes from Bawarchi.com
Jhinge Aloo Posto, or Ridge Gourd cooked with potatoes and a poppy seed paste, is one of the most popular vegetarian Bengali delicacies.
The dish is cooked in mustard oil and is a summer favourite across Bengal. Poppy seeds cool the body and add texture and flavour to this classic dish. For this recipe, soak poppy seeds in water for 15 minutes and then grind it to make a paste.
Jhinge Aloo Posto is best served with steamed rice or rotis.
6 pieces - Jhinge or ridge gourd, medium sized de-skinned and chopped into medium pieces 2 - Potatoes, medium sized, chopped into medium pieces 30 g - Poppy Seeds Mustard oil for cooking 3/4 tsp - Turmeric powder 2-3 - Green chillies, slit Salt to taste
How to Make Jhinge aloo posto:
- Soak poppy seeds in water for 15 minutes.
- Then grind it with a mortar and pestle.
- Keep the paste aside.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan and saute the vegetables (jhinge and potatoes).
- Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Now add the poppy seed paste into it.
- Mix the vegetables well with the poppy seeds.
- Now add salt and green chillies to it.
- Add 1/2 cup water to obtain an even gravy.
- Serve with steamed rice.