Kashi Halwa Recipe
Kashi Halwa is a delicious sweet made with Ash Gourd. This awesome dessert is prominent in most of the special occasions of Mangalore. Kashi Halwa is a melt-in-the-mouth sweet that uses ash gourd, saffron, cardamom powder and ghee. The ghee-roasted raisins and cashews added to the halwa gives an extra appetising taste.
Kashi Halwa tastes best when it is served hot, right after it is prepared.
2 to 2.5 cups - grated winter melon/ash gourd/ boodkumbalakai 1.5 cups - Sugar 4 to 5 strands - Saffron 1/2 tsp - elaichi/cardamom powder 1 tbsp - raisins/cashew mixture 2 + 2 tsp - ghee/clarified Butter
How to Make Kashi Halwa:
- Drain out excess water from the winter melon and grate.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pan and roast the grated winter melon until it is coated well with ghee.
- Then pressure cook it for 1-2 whistles, or until cooked completely.
- Transfer the contents to the pan and saute it on medium heat until all the water evaporates.
- Once the quantity is reduced to three fourth, add sugar and mix well.
- Cook further, until all the moisture evaporates and the winter melon becomes a single lump.
- It usually takes about 40-50 mins.
- Stir frequently towards the end.
- Add elaichi, and saffron and mix well.
- Roast raisins and cashews in ghee and add to the halwa.
- Serve hot.
- Recipe and Image courtesy: Ramya