The Ketogenic diet or Keto diet aims to minimise carbs and increase intake of healthy fats to get your body to use fat as a form of energy. The premise is that you get 60 to 75 percent of calories from fat, 15 to 30 percent of your calories from protein, and 5 to 10 percent of your calories from carbs.
The focus in Keto is about a healthy lifestyle. So while eating protein in the form of meat is encouraged, ensure that you select organic, grass-fed meat.
For those starting on a Keto diet, this simple Lamb roast is an easy and excellent main.
Serve this Herby Lamb Roast with a refreshing Mint Dip
- 1 leg lamb, approx 1 kg. in weight
- For the topping: 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tsp. grated Lemon rind or a mixture of Lime and Lemon
- Half cup chopped parsley
- 50 gm butter
- 2-3 Cloves garlic, crushed. Add a few more if you like garlic
How to Make Keto Herby Lamb Roast
- 1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the garlic, lemon rind and breadcrumbs.
- 2. Stir well and remove from the heat. Allow to cool.
- 3. Place the piece of lamb on a large piece of foil and place in a baking tray.
- 4. Press the herby mixture on to the top of the leg of lamb. Seal up the foil and roast in a moderate oven at 210 degrees C for about 15 minutes per weight of the lamb.
- 5. Remove the foil and cook for a further 20 minutes, until top is crispy and golden.
- 6. Serve with freshly made mint sauce.