Paya Recipe (Leg of Lamb soup) Recipe
- Author :
Uma Devi Ramachandra
- On :
- Monday, 18 April, 2016
- Category :
- Course :
- Soups and Stews
- Cuisine :
- Technique :
- Difficulty :
- Servings :
- Serves 6
- RATINGs :
based on 100
Paya is a popular South Indian soup made of mutton. Also known as aatu kaal paya regionally, this stew is served with rice, chapati or parotta.
4 lamb legs (each cut into 4 pieces). Tomato puree from 4 medium Tomatoes. 4 onions, medium (2 for paste and 2 chopped fine). 1 tsp - garam masala. 2 tsp - ginger-garlic paste. 1 tbsp - Dhania powder. 5 green chillies. 2 tbsp - fresh Coconut gratings. 2 tsp - Red Chilli powder. 6 pepper corns, crushed roughly,. 1/4 tsp - haldi. 1 tbsp - chopped, coriander leaves. 3 tbsp - oil. 6 cloves. 4 elachi. 2 cinnamon, 1/2 inch sticks. 1 bay leaf. salt.
How to Make Paya Recipe (Leg of Lamb soup):
- Dry fry onions and prepare paste with coriander leaves, green chillies and coconut gratings.
- Keep the masalas aside.
- Clean the leg pieces and wash them thoroughly in plenty of water.
- Pressure cook with salt, haldi and 1 litre of water up to 10-12 whistles.
- Heat oil in a separate kadai, add cloves, cinnamon, elachi and bay leaf.
- Stir once, add ginger garlic paste fry for a min.
- Add onion pieces, fry till light brown.
- Add onion paste, fry for 2 minutes.
- Add dhania powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, pepper powder and fry for a min.
- Add this whole masala to leg pieces in the cooker, along with tomato puree and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut chilli paste and 1/2 a litre of water (or more).
- Check salt and cook up to 10 whistles.
- This is a very popular non-veg dish in Andhra, served usually with idli/dosa.