Besan ki Chakki Recipe
Besan ki chakki, as the name says is an ultimate dessert for your sweet cravings, made from besan or gram flour. Besan has been long used for preparation of desserts in India.
This besan ki chaaki is an Indian dessert popularly made around festive season. It is relatively easy to make. You can see the entire recipe and know how to make it at home right here from our recipe guide.
This kid friendly recipe involves besan to be slow cooked to perfection and then is finally mixed with unsweetened mawa or khoya to make it into chakki by setting it on a greased plate.
300 gms- coarsely ground Bengal Gram flour (Besan) 150 gms- Ghee 150 gms- unsweetened grated Khoya (Mava) 1 tsp - coarsely ground green Cardamom powder (Elaichi) For the Sugar syrup: 300 gms- Sugar 300ml - water 2 tbsp - Lemon juice For the garnish: 4-5 -silver leaves (chandi ki vark)
How to Make Besan ki Chakki:
- Heat kadhai, put in gram flour and cook it on a low flame for 15 minutes. Add hot ghee stirring continuously to get golden brown colour. Now add the khoya and cardamom powder and stir for 7 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let it cool.
- After it cools pass the mixture from a big wire mesh sieve (gehun ki chalni).
- For the sugar syrup: Mix the sugar with water in a pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the boiling sugar syrup.
- The impurities will from a white layer. Remove this layer gently using a perforated spoon.
- Simmer till the syrup is of 1 string consistency. Keep the syrup hot.
- How to proceed:
- Pour the gram flour mixture in the sugar syrup and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 225 mm.(9 inch) diameter plate (thali) with 25 mm. (1 inch) high sides.
- Place silver leaves on top and allow to set for 2 to 3 hours.
- Cut into 25 mm.(1-inch) squares.
- Serve at room temperature.