Dal makhani or Dal Makhni has whole black lentils (urad), red kidney beans (rajma), butter and cream as its primary ingredients. The dish gets its richness from the use of cream and butter. This rich, vegetarian dish can be served as an accompaniment to a rice or roti meal.
- 100 g - urad dal
- 15 g - kidney beans
- 25 g - ginger
- 4 pods - garlic
- 2 tsp - whipped cream
- 5 tsp - milk
- 3 tsp - butter
- 2 - onion, large, finely chopped
- 3 - tomatoes, large, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder to taste
- A pinch - turmeric
How to Make Slow-cooked Dal Makhni
- Soak urad dal and rajma together for at least 6 hrs.
- Then boil them along with salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and some ginger (5g)
- Heat butter in a pan. Add the chopped onions, finely minced ginger (5 g) and minced garlic
- Cook till the raw smell goes. Now add tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Mix whipped cream with the milk and add to the pan.
- Saute for a few mins and add salt as is required.
- Mix the boiled dal to it, reduce heat.
- Leave it on low heat for at least 2 hours
- It goes very well with rice or Indian breads.