Dal tadka Recipe
Dal tadka is the most popular comfort food. And why wouldn't it be?! A great source of protein for the vegetarian, this Indian curry is easy to be made in a pressure cooker.
You will need a little ghee to achieve the goodness level and make it exactly like Punjabis do. Dal tadka is very famous in Punjab and is made in every household once or twice a week. The yellow dal is spiced up with tadka having red chili, mustard seeds, curry leaves and kasuri methi leaves.
The combination will be such a delight that you will love it for your lunch or dinner. Rotis and rice taste the best with it. Learn how to make it at home with below given steps.
How to Make Dal tadka:
- Pressure cook dal with enough water and a pinch of turmeric powder until soft or up to 3 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Drain water, mash the dal once but don't make it too mushy and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add 1/2 mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Then add cumin, onions, garlic and red chilli one by one and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Now add tomato and saute till raw smell of tomato leaves.
- Next add salt, asafoetida and sprinkle a little water and let it boil for 2 mins.
- Now add mashed dal, mix well and let it boil for 3 more mins.
- Add kasoori methi leaves and mix well.
- Switch off and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat a tsp of ghee, add the remaining 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 red chilli and curry leaves.
- Allow it to crackle, switch off and transfer this tadka to the dal in the serving bowl.
- Recipe courtesy: Sharmis Passions