Drumstick Soup Recipe
Drumstick Soup is a healthy south Indian soup, rich in iron and proteins and can be relished by people of all age groups. Drumstick soup recipe is nutritious soup made from drumsticks and loved by people of all age groups. This South Indian soup recipe has high nutritional value. It is rich in proteins and iron and made in Indian style.
You can also learn how to make this stewed recipe from drumsticks with our recipe guide. The vegetarian soup also includes green gram dal and some spices to enhance its flavour.
The thick coconut milk is also added to make even consistency of the soup like thin cream. You can simmer it till it is ready and use curry leaves for garnish this south Indian style drumstick soup.
6 to 8 - Drumsticks(drum sticks are long stick like pods of a tree with soft flesh and fibrous skin) 1/2 cup- Green gram dal 2 tbsp- Ghee 1/2 tsp- Pepper corns, crushed 1 tsp- Cumin seeds, crushed 1/2 cup- Onion, minced 2 tsp- Ginger Garlic paste 2 tbsp - Tomato puree 1- Green chili , minced and crushed 1/2 cup- Thick Coconut Milk 1 Bay Leaf Coriander leaves to garnish Curry leaves few Salt to taste
How to Make Drumstick Soup:
- Cut the drumsticks into 3 inch long pieces. Cover with water.
- Add little salt and cook till soft.
- Drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Cool the drumsticks.
- Split open and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Mash the flesh lightly.
- Cook dal using the cooking liquid from drum sticks (add more water if needed) till very soft. Mash well.
- Heat the oil and add pepper and cumin.
- After few seconds, and bay leaf and curry leaves, followed by onion. Fry till onion is brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry well. Add tomato puree and green chilli. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal, drumstick pulp and salt.
- Add enough water to make the soup the consistency of thin cream.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.