Kuku Paka is a spiced chicken and coconut curry dish that is full of exotic flavours.
Also called Kuku na Nazi, the dish is popular in parts of East Africa and among Indian communities living in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Paka in Swahili means to smear, to spread or to apply, and Kuku means chicken.
Coconut milk or coconut cream and curry spices are the main ingredients.
Variation: Char grill the chicken pieces before stirring them into the sauce.
- 800 gm. Chicken pieces
- 5 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 whole chillies
- 4 tsp. crushed garlic
- 4 tsp. grated ginger
- 250 gm. peeled and chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp. Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 150 gms. Coconut cream
- Salt to taste
- 4 medium sized potatoes, cut into quarters
- 500 ml. water
- 4 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
How to Make Kuku Paka
- 1. Put all the ingredients except the eggs and coriander into a big saucepan.
- 2. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for at least 50 mins, until the chicken is cooked.
- 3. Add the eggs and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.