Maida Halwa Recipe
Maida halwa is a delicious dessert that takes a little time to cook. This kid-friendly recipe is cooked in Indian style.
The halwa is great way to satiate your sweet cravings after dinner or any meal. The halwa is made from maida or flour. You can learn how to make it at home by following our easy recipe guide. The kids and grown-ups are going to love this amazing dessert equally. The Indian dessert is slow cooked to perfection and involves an elaborate yet easy process.
The recipe is best cooked in ghee as the aroma of ghee will really uplift the flavor of the halwa. The halwa should have thick consistency and it should not be runny at all. Cashew is the best for garnishing it and a few drops of orange color can be added to make it look pleasing.
How to Make Maida Halwa:
- Mix the flour with water and make it into a chapatti like dough. It should not be too thick or too thin.
- Keep it covered with wet cloth for one hour.
- Add 2 cups of water in a vessel (measurement equal to flour).
- Keep the dough inside the water and knead the dough well so that flour milk is extracted.
- The dough which remains after extracting the milk should be removed and thrown away.
- This requires some 10 minutes to extract.
- Then allow the extracted milk to stand for 1 hour.
- A thin portion of the milk will be floating on top and the thick portion will settle down.
- Remove the thin portion and throw it away.
- Now pour this thick milk in a heavy bottomed vessel or a non-stick pan and add sugar and orange colour.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes.
- When it becomes thick like halwa, add ghee and cashew nuts.
- It will start leaving the sides of the kadai.
- Now mix well and once it is thick, transfer to a greased plate (coated with ghee).
- Once it is cool, cut into desired shape.
- Recipe courtesy: http://tamilveg.blogspot.in/