Masala Idli Recipe
Masala idli is delicious recipe native to Southern part of India. This unique Indian snack is relished as breakfast and is one of the healthiest as well as delicious alternatives to the fried paranthas or other such breakfast dishes every day.
The masala idli is made by giving little twist to your regular plain idli. So you can expect it to be even more delicious. Made with steam, idli is best for health and calorie conscious people. For masala version of idli, it is sauteed with little mustard seeds and asafoetida and grated coconut.
Learn how to make this breakfast staple at home in our detailed recipe.
How to Make Masala Idli:
- Finely chop onions. Peel and grate the carrots.
- Grate the ginger and finely chop the chillies.
- Fry the peanuts or cashewnuts, whichever you are using, in ghee and keep aside.
- In a pan, take some oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and channa dal. Wait for the mustard seeds to crackle.
- Add the onions, grated ginger, finely chopped chillies and curry leaves once they are fried.
- Add the grated coconut and the grated carrot, salt, turmeric, asafoetida, red chilli powder and just stir-fry once, so that all the masalas mix well.
- The carrot should not be cooked, it should be crunchy.
- In case you add green peas, after frying the green chillies and ginger, add the peas and fry till you see the peas slightly change colour.
- Add this masala into the idli batter. Also add the fried cashewnuts or peanuts that you are using and mix well.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Check for salt. If you feel it is less, add at that point.
- Now, coat the idli moulds with oil and pour the batter into the idli moulds and steam cook.
- Serve hot with chutney, sambhar or molagapodi.