Mincemeat Pie Recipe
Mincemeat pie recipe is a big part of Christmas celebration as the famous Christmas Pudding!
Learn how to make this famous Christmas recipe filled with raisins, apple, brandy and lemon zests.
But, how did the mincemeat pie become a part of Christmas? Interestingly the pie followed the same route as the pudding with its beginning as a savoury treat for the workforce and horsemen. It is said that the shape of the pie was designed round/oblong so that it could be had as a finger food, while these men continued with their work.
The trick, to make this pie, is how you roll the pie and the quality of the unsalted butter, which should still be solid when you mix it in the flour.
For the filling: 250 gms - Raisins 325 gms - Currant 100 ml - Brandy Zest of one Lemon 300 gms - Butter 250 gms - Brown sugar 85 gms - Mixed peel 1 no - Apple (chopped) For the pie pastry: 225 gms - Butter (just out of the fridge) 350 gms - Flour 100 gms - Castor Sugar A pinch of salt An Egg
How to Make Mincemeat Pie:
- For the filling:
- Soak the fruits in brandy till they plump up.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well and keep aside in a cool place for an hour at least.
- Tip: Want stronger flavours, then make it at least two days in advance.
- For the pie pastry
- Mix all the dry ingredients and then add the grated butter.
- Knead all the ingredients to make a ball like short crust. And keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Assembling the pie:
- Lightly brush the pie mold or cup cake mould.
- Knead the dough one more time and roll out the pie dough into a sheet using a rolling pin. Cut small swaths and line the pie mould. Press the dough lightly into the mold and remove the excess dough.
- Fill the pie with one tablespoon of the mince. Remember you want to only fill it 3/4th of the pie size.
- To make the lid of the pie, place a small ball of dough in your hands and cup it and then place it on the pies. Brush with egg-wash.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for15-20 minutes.
- Remove and let it cool before unmolding.