Matar Paneer is a north Indian dish with fresh or frozen green peas and cottage cheese as the main ingredients.
In this recipe, Matar Paneer, also known as Mattar Paneer and Mutter Paneer, uses a freshly ground tomato and spice paste.
Matar Paneer is often served with rice and roti or naan.
- Grind together to a smooth paste:
- 5 - small tomatoes
- 1 - big onion
- 5 - garlic pods
- 1 - green chilli
- 4 - cloves
- 2 - 1-inch cinnamon sticks
- A small piece of ginger
- Other ingredients:
- 4 tbsp - oil
- 1/2 tsp - chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp - turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp - crushed kasoori methi
- 1 tsp - butter
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 cup - paneer cubes
- 1/2 tsp - sugar
- 1/2 cup - frozen peas
How to Make Matar Paneer
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the ground paste. Add chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder.
- Add some water if the gravy is very thick.
- Fry till the raw smell goes away and oil starts to separate from the sides of the pan.
- Fry paneer cubes to light golden brown.
- Add the pieces to the gravy. Add peas.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, kasoori methi and butter.
- Serve with chapattis or rice.
- Recipe Courtesy: Indian Vegetarian Kitchen