Panko Crusted Chicken Drumlet Recipe
Panko Crusted Chicken Drumlet is a unique chicken and mango recipe, perfectly handcrafted to beat the summers using the right mix of seasonal mangoes. It can be made using both chicken or turkey.
How to Make Panko Crusted Chicken Drumlet:
- Clean and marinate chicken drumlet using salt, pepper, mustard and fresh rosemary. Allow to rest for 30 minutes
- Prepare a coating of flour mix using refined flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, crushed pepper and dry mango powder
- While the chicken sits in the marinade, prepare a refreshing raw mango salad, using diced raw mangoes, watercress, chopped cilantro, paprika powder and half the quantity of double cream.
- Gently mix all ingredients together in a bowl, sprikle lemon juice and allow to rest.
- The salad has to be stuffed into an apple later, for this cut the apple top horizontally and core its centre pulp to make a hollow cavity . Roast it for just 5 minutes in the oven.
- For the crunchy mango peel, fine peel a raw mango, soak it in salt water for 30 minutes, dust in flour and fry till crispy and golden in color
- For the accompanying puree, peel an alphonso mango, deseed it and mash the pulp. Blend it with the remaining cream. Allow to chill in a refrigerator to thicken
- Once the accompanying salad and puree are ready, its time to crumb the chicken. Coat the marinated drumlet with the flour mix, dip it in beaten egg and roll it in panko crumbs. Press tight to ensure the drumlet is coated well with the flour mix and crumbs. Chill for 5-10 minutes.
- Fry the drumlet in hot oil till it turns golden brown in color.
- Once all elements are ready, its time to plate the drumlet.
- Place the drumlet on a black stone or a ceramic plate, pour the raw mango salad into the roasted apple centre.
- Pipe droplets of the alphonso mango puree around the drumlet and line a dollop of the same besides the drumlet pulling it with a spoon to give it the desired shape
- Sprinkle a few raw mango salad cubes and watercress leaves randomly around the drumlet and garnish with two to three crispy onion rings fried with the above flour mix
- Chef's tip: Always chill the crumbed chicken for a few minutes before frying to ensure the crumbs hold on and it fries evenly whereby giving it a crispy texture.
- Recipe by Chef Jerson Fernandes, Corporate Chef, Berggruen Hotels Pvt Ltd