Punjabi Mutton Curry
Punjabi style mutton curry spiced with garam masala and pressure cooked. This is a popular Indian non veg recipe
Punjabi Mutton Curry is one of the most popular non-vegetarian delicacies in India relished as a side dish. Mutton Curry, as the name says, is made with chunky mutton boiled with spice blend and served as a side-dish popularly.
You must be wondering how to make the mutton curry. It is easy once you get the ingredients ready. It can be made by sauteing mutton pieces in oil along with the ginger-garlic paste, spices and condiments. A little patience while mutton gets ready and voila, you are done.
Don't forget to add Garam Masala as it will eventually lend that unique flavor to the mutton curry. The recipe is a favorite among Punjabis. It is relished on many special occasions and liked by non-vegetarians in winters especially.
How to Make Punjabi Mutton Curry
- Clean and wash mutton pieces. Drain water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a fry pan. Add cardamom, cloves, black pepper corns, cinnamons and bay leaves.
- Saute for a minute. Add finely chopped onion and salt.
- Saute till the onion turns light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and coriander powder.
- Combine well and add mashed tomatoes.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn pulpy and oil separates out from the masala.
- Add the mutton pieces and mix well.
- Cook in medium flame for 4 to 5 mins, stirring once in a while. Add yogurt and mix well.
- Cook further for 4 to 5 minutes more. Now add 2 cups of water. Stir well.
- Taste and adjust salt and seasonings. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Transfer the masala into the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles and simmer for 10 to 12 mins. (The mutton should be cooked till it becomes tender and juicy).
- Once the pressure turns off, combine gently. Lipsmacking Punjabi Mutton Masala is ready.
Recipe and Image courtesy: Tasty Appetite