Royal Beetroot Tikki Recipe
Before potato became the prince and eggplant the king of the Indian kitchen, there was the Beetroot – culinary world's magical wand to nutritious, delicious meals.
Made In Punjab's beetroot Tikki by Chef Vikas Seth is one of the finest examples, but did you know that beetroot was once considered to be the Kitchen King – and anything that had the reddish root was considered fit for royalty.
Beets as a matter of fact were held in such high esteem – perhaps because they began as a miraculous medicinal pill for building immunity to treating depression and heart healthy. We bring you a delicious recipe of the Royal Beetroot Tikki.
600 gms - Beetroot 300 gms - Carrot 120 gms - Potatoes (mashed) 4 - Green Chilies (seed and finely chop) 1/2 inch - Ginger 1/2 tsp - Shahi Zeera 2 gm - Black Pepper (Crushed) 1 tbsp - Corn flour 1 tbsp - Tempura 75 gms - Breadcrumbs 1/4 tsp - Chotti Elaichi/Green Cardamom Powder 1/8 tsp - Javitri/Mace Powder 1/4 tsp - Cinnamon Powder 1/2 tbsp - Cooking Oil 2 tbsp - Butter Salt to taste Mesculum (shredded assorted salad leaves) Micro greens (moong cress) The Beetroot Coulis 60 gms - Beetroot (cube, boil in 1 cup of vegetable stock for 30 mins and cool) 1 tsp - Balsamic Vinegar 2 tsp - Olive oil Juice of 1 Lemon The Filling 75 gms - Yoghurt Cheese/chakka dahi/hung Curd 8 - Cashew nuts (chopped) 12 - Raisins (chopped) 2 - Green Chilies (deseed and finely chopped) 1/2 inch piece - Ginger (finely chopped) 1 tbsp - Mint (finely chopped)
How to Make Royal Beetroot Tikki:
- Peel beetroot, wash, cut cubes, put in a handi/pan, add enough water and boil until cooked (approx 10 mins). Drain, cool, grate beetroot and keep aside.
- Peel Carrot, washes, cut cubes, put in a handi/pan, adds enough water and boil until cooked (approx 5 mins). Drain, cool, grate carrot and keep aside.
- Lay a muslin cloth over a bowl and pour the yoghurt into it. Pick up the edges of the cloth and tie a knot. Hang it till it turns into a cheesy mixture.
- Wash green chilies, slit, deseed, finely chop and discard the stems. Scrape, wash and finely chop ginger.
- Heat oil and butter in a frying pan, add shahi zeera, add the ginger and green chilies, black pepper and stir.
- Then add the grated beetroot and carrot, bhunno/stir-fry (approx 4-6 mins). Then add potatoes and salt, bhunno/stir-fry until cooked (approx 7-8 mins) until the moisture has completely evaporated.
- Now add the remaining ingredients, except corn flour and tempura, stir, remove, adjust the seasoning and cool.
- Mix well and divide into 16 equal portions and make balls.
- Put tempura and corn flour in a bowl, add 1/2 cup water and mix well.
- Take cheesy yoghurt in a bowl; add cashew nuts, raisins, green chillies, ginger and mint.
- Flatten each ball between the palms to make round patties, place a portion of the filling in the middle of each, seal, make balls again and carefully (ensuring that the filling does not ooze out) flatten into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Refrigerate for 15 mins.
- Remove the patties from the refrigerator, dip in tempura and corn flour batter, roll in breadcrumbs and keep aside.
- THE BEETROOT COULIS: Put boiled beets in a blender and pulse to make a puree. Remove and pass puree through a fine mesh sieve.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add patties—in convenient batches—and shallow fry over medium heat until Crisps.
- Remove to absorbent paper to drain the excess fat.
- Place the 5 patties in in a flat plate / serving tray in a row and squeeze the Beetroot Coulis with the help of squeeze bottle over the each tikkis.
- Garnish with micro greens and arrange the Mesculum around it.