Spring Onion Kulcha Recipe
Kulcha or leavened Indian bread, stuffed with spring onion and potato makes for a sumptuous breakfast or a single dish dinner. Bake this at home in your oven.
3 cup - Maida 3 tbsp - Curd 1/3 tsp - Baking soda 1/2 tsp - Baking powder 1 tsp - Sugar 1 tbsp - Oil 3/4 tsp - Salt 1 tsp - Carom seeds or Cumin seeds Ingredients to prepare the filling: 4 - Potato, boiled 4-5 - Spring Onions, chopped fine 1/2 tsp - Salt 1-2 - Green chilli, chopped 1 inch - Piece of Ginger (grated) 1/2 tsp - Amchoor powder 1 tsp - Coriander powder 1-2 pinch - Red Chilli powder 1/4 tsp - Garam Masala 1 tbsp - Coriander, chopped
How to Make Spring Onion Kulcha:
- Mix curd, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, oil in a bowl.
- Knead the flour with lukewarm water to make a smooth dough.
- Flip and punch the dough for 5 minutes to make it smooth.
- Apply oil to the dough and keep it in a deep pan.
- Cover the bowl with clean towel and keep it at a warm place.
- In 3-4 hours the dough will rise, punch the dough once again to fix it.
- Peel and mash the boiled potatoes, mix well with spring onion pieces.
- Put salt, green chilli, ginger, coriander powder, amchoor powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Mix all the spices well with the mashed potatoes.
- Make 8-10 round balls of the dough for equal amount potato mixture.
- Take one ball of the dough and roll it into a flat disc of 3 inch.
- Put the potato mixture ball in the disc and press it with hands so it settles down on the dough.
- Fold and close the disc from all the sides to make a kulcha.
- Dust the kulcha with dry maida and press it with light hands to increase its size up to 3 inch.
- Now roll the kulcha into a flat disc of 6-7 inch with the rolling pin.
- Sprinkle some carom seeds or cumin seeds over the top of the kulcha.
- Bake the kulcha in a preheated oven at 300C for 2 minutes.
- Flip it over and bake again.
- Serve the kulchas with raita, tomato chutney and masala chhole curry.
- Recipe courtesy: UK Rasoi.