Thalaserry style beef biryani Recipe
Thalaserry style beef biryani is a non vegetarian rice recipe popularly relished as main course in India.
It is cooked as one dish with beef and rice layered over one another and then steamed together using the 'dum' technique of cooking. The beef is marinated and is cooked with rice following slow cooking giving the varied flavors. The flavors are further enhanced with spices and herbs.
The biryani recipe with beef is cooked in ghee so the taste will definitely be unique and palate pleasing. You can also learn how to make this delicious biryani recipe using dum technique by following our recipe guide.
1 kg - Beef 6 - Onions (medium, sliced) 12-15 - green chillies, ground to a paste 2 big - tomatoes, sliced 1/2 cup - Ginger and garlic, ground to a paste 1/2 cup - cooking oil salt to taste 1 kg - biriyani Rice 1/2 cup - Ghee 1 cup - dalda 2 sticks - Cinnamon 5-8 - Cloves 2 - onions, thinly sliced 1 cup - Coriander leaves 1/2 cup - Lemon juice 2 tbsp - Garam Masala powder 8 - cashews 1 pinch Saffron 2 tsp - Lemon juice, mixed with a pinch of biriyani colour
How to Make Thalaserry style beef biryani:
- Preparation of the masala: In a pan heat oil, fry the onions, ground chillies, ginger, garlic and tomatoes one by one. Saute till soft.
- Then, add the beef pieces with enough salt. Mix and cook covered till the beef is done and the masala is not too thin.
- Add a tbsp of garam masala, some lemon juice and half of the coriander leaves.
- Remove from heat.
- Preparation of the ghee rice:
- Clean the rice and put it in a strainer to remove the excess water.
- Heat a vessel, add 1 cup of oil and 1/2 cup ghee. Fry the thinly sliced onion till it turns golden brown and keep aside.
- Roast the cashews also (optional).
- In the same oil, fry the cleaned rice for 5 mins and pour the boiling water.
- Add enough salt, cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- You can use 450 ml of water for 1 cup rice.
- Reduce flame and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Open the lid and just turn over the rice with a spoon.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the remaining lemon juice and mix well.
- For the dum:
- Heat the cooked masala once again and (in a bigger vessel) add 2/3 of the rice.
- Sprinkle the colour on it, then the roasted onion, cashews, coriander leaves and garam masala.
- Add a layer of rice once again and repeat the same to make 3 layers.
- Cover the vessel with a tight lid or keep something heavy on top.
- Cook on a very low flame for 20-30 mins.
- Open and let the steam out and your biriyani is ready.
- While serving, transfer the rice to one dish and the masala to another.
- Garnish with roasted onions, cashews and coriander leaves.