Thalassery biriyani Recipe
Thalassery biriyani recipe is a traditional biryani recipe from North Kerala. It is little different from other biryani techniques and is quite favourite in entire Kerala.
This biryani recipe is a non-vegetarian one made using chicken and served as main. The family friendly recipe of Kerala can be made by slow cooking the rice and chicken mixture layer by layer and you can learn how to make it here with our recipe guide.
Remember to cook it in a thick bottom pan to bring out the perfect taste. The unique combination of rare spices mixes with basmati rice and marinated chicken to come out as Thalassery biriyani.
How to Make Thalassery biriyani:
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces.
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Make a paste of red chilli powder, turmeric powder, 1 tbsp lemon juice and salt.
- Marinate the chicken in this paste for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a fry pan. Shallow fry the marinated chicken and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in the pan. Add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, saunf and cardamom.
- Wait for them to crackle. Add one sliced onion. Saute till it is golden.
- Add soaked rice and water.
- Pressure cook till the rice is 3/4th done.
- Now, heat ghee in the pan. Add the remaining onions, green chillies slit lengthwise, ginger garlic paste and stir well.
- Add chopped tomato pieces and cook for a minute.
- Add freshly chopped coriander and mint leaves. Next, add garam masala powder, yogurt and salt.
- Allow the mixture to cook well.
- Now, add the fried chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook the chicken pieces in the gravy.
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add this chicken along with gravy.
- Add a layer of cooked basmati rice over it. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Top it with another layer of rice.
- Add fried onions, few drops of food colour, raisins and cashews.
- Close the lid tightly and place the weight on top. Keep in simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from flame.
- Once the pressure goes off, fluff the biryani gently.
- Serve hot Thalassery Biryani with boiled eggs and raitha.
- Recipe and Image courtesy: Tasty Appetite