Yakhni Pulao Recipe
One of Punjabi's favourite dish - Yakhni Pulao is a famous pulao recipe of Indian cuisine. Yakhni Pulao is preferably made with either mutton or chicken but this recipe uses fresh vegetables in a different version. The fusion of basmathi rice along with flavourful authentic spices imparts the real pulao taste, just the way we wanted!
Garnish the pulao with fried onions, grated paneer, mint and coriander leaves. You are all set for a perfect weekend lunch with a mouth-watering Yakhni pulao.
How to Make Yakhni Pulao:
- For Yakhni:
- Combine all the ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain after 10 minutes.
- Reserve the stock.
- For Pulao:
- Soak Soya chunks in boiling hot water for 15 minutes.
- Drain, cool and squeeze out the water.
- Powder cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, mace, poppy seeds and pepper corns together.
- Wash the rice. Drain well.
- Measure the cooled vegetable stock.
- Add water if needed to make it 4 cups.
- Pour it over the rice.
- Let it soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee or oil in a kadai, fry 1/3 of onion slices till dark brown, drain on kitchen paper and keep aside for garnish. Add the remaining onions to the kadai and fry till light brown.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered spices, shah jeera, and chilli powder and Soya chunks.
- Fry till the chunks are browned.
- Add the rice with the stock. Cook covered on slow flame till the rice is done and moisture is absorbed.
- Leave undisturbed for 10 minutes and then mix gently.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fried onions, grated paneer, mint and coriander leaves.