Sham-e-Kebab or Shami kabab is a popular snack or appetiser that is popular in Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi cuisines. The original version of the Sham-e-Kebab is a small patty of minced meat, ground chickpeas, spices and egg.
Our healthy, vegetarian version of the Sham-e-Kebab uses mashed chickpeas and spices. These kebabs can be served with sliced raw onions or may be eaten with a mint-coriander green chutney.
- 2 cups - Boiled Chickpeas (black)
- 1 cup - Besan
- 1 cup - Roasted Papad crumbs
- 1/2 cup - Mint leaves (chopped)
- 2 tsps - Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp - Jeera
- 1 tsp - Saunf
- 1 tsp - Rock salt
- 5 - Red chillies (dried)
- 3/4 tsp - Pepper powder
- 2 - Green chillies (chopped)
- Chaat masala - to taste
How to Make Vegetarian Sham-e-Kebab
- Soak black chickpeas overnight and pressure cook well.
- Mash them in a bowl, add besan and papad crumbs and prepare stuffing.
- Mix coriander seeds, jeera, saunf, rock salt, pepper powder, dried red chillies and chaat masala, roast them on low flame till they smell good and grind to make powder. Add this powder to above stuffing.
- Add mint leaves and salt and make round tikkis.
- Shallow fry them on pan and serve with coriander-mint chutney.
- Recipe courtesy: My Own Food Court